NEWS

Irish Newfoundland Annual BBQ – July 19

(St. John’s, NL) The Executive of the Irish Newfoundland Association (INA) cordially invites members and guests to attend the 2nd annual BBQ hosted by the INA to allow members to meet the new Executive of the INA and meet some of the ‘new Irish arrivals” to our city and province. In order to better prepare…

“Emigration is continuing to go on still to a fearful extent.”

On May 14, 1863 John Murphy, from the Copper Works, Brass and Bell Foundry in Dublin, Ireland  wrote to Bishop John Thomas Mullock, the R.C. Bishop of Newfoundland to acknowledge receipt of payment for bells crafted for the Roman Catholic Cathedral in St. John’s (now Basilica). John Murphy was a Coppersmith who established his business…

Why celebrate mass in the hills?

On April 13, 1829 a significant milestone in Irish history was reached when King George IV reluctantly gave royal assent to the Roman Catholic Relief Act. This Act effectively removed a series of laws known as Penal Laws or Popery Laws that severely limited the ability of a Catholic to do anything. Some of the…

An Irish organist goes home

  On March 24, 1878, Thomas Mullock, brother of Bishop John Thomas Mullock of St. John’s, Newfoundland died at Clonmel, Ireland. Thomas’s claim to fame was that he was the first organist at the Roman Catholic Cathedral (now Basilica) of St. John the Baptist in St. John’s. Thomas an accomplished organist in Limerick, Ireland came…

What happened to Sheelagh’s Day?

In Newfoundland and Labrador there has been a long established tradition to refer to the day following St. Patrick’s Day (March 17) as  Sheelagh’s Day.  As early as 1819, the Anglican Missionary and historian Lewis Anspach who wrote the first general history of Newfoundland that was published stated: “It is hardly in the power of…

Menu